Below is a common prayer for the Souls in Purgatory.
The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ and consists of the:
- Church Militant – souls on earth
- Church Suffering – souls in Purgatory
- Church Triumphant – souls in Heaven
The unity of the members of the Church on earth, in Purgatory and in heaven is also called the Communion of Saints.
Sadly, the Church Suffering is often the “forgotten Church.”
All Christians are expected to pray for those who have died.
Praying for the dead, as well as the living, is a Spiritual Work of Mercy.
When we offer prayers for those in Purgatory, we ease their suffering and help them get released quicker.
These souls are eternally grateful and will intercede for those who prayed for them when they get to heaven!
The short prayer below is easy to memorize and can be prayed at any time.
I say it every morning and evening, and whenever I think of it.
The Manual of Indulgences grants a partial indulgence for this prayer:
§2 A partial indulgence, applicable only to the souls in purgatory, is granted to the faithful who
- 1° devoutly visit a cemetery and at least mentally pray for the dead;
- 2° devoutly recite lauds or vespers from the Office of the Dead or the prayer Eternal rest.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen.