Every Catholic should own a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
The Catechism contains the essential and fundamental content of the Catholic faith in a complete and summary way. It presents what Catholics throughout the world believe in common. It presents these truths in a way that facilitates their understanding.
The Catechism presents Catholic doctrine within the context of the Church’s history and tradition. Frequent references to Sacred Scripture, the writings of the Fathers, the lives and writings of the saints, conciliar and papal documents and liturgical texts enrich the Catechism in a way that is both inviting and challenging. There are over three thousand footnotes in the Catechism (USCCB).
There is already so much confusion within the Church, and it will get worse. It is essential that Catholics know the True Faith in order to avoid falling into error.
The full Catechism is currently available online. However, at some point, this will not be a reliable or available source.
It will also become increasingly difficult and expensive to buy an authentic Catechism in the future.
I encourage you to buy a copy if you don’t already have one.
I recommend this green one:
- Second Edition
- ISBN 9781574551105
- Published in 2000 by USCCB Publishing
- If you live in the United States, you can buy a used copy for less than $10 on AbeBooks.com.
If you can’t find the green one, this blue one is another option:
- Second Edition
- ISBN 9781601376497
- Published in 2019 by USCCB Publishing
- Includes the 2018 revision of no. 2267 promulgated by Pope Francis. There is controversy and confusion about this change, so this version isn’t my first choice.
- It’s hard to find a cheap copy because it was recently published. Most I’ve seen are $25-$30.
Here is another option:
- Mass Market Paperback
- ISBN 9780385479677
- Published in 1995 by USCCB Publishing
- If you live in the United States, you can buy a used copy for less than $5 on AbeBooks.com.
Since the Catechism has been around for almost 30 years, many editions are available. Be sure to get one that is published by a valid source.
You can search Catholic stores, Amazon, eBay, or wherever books are sold in your country. It’s easiest to search by the ISBN.
(I’m not sure of the best site to buy it outside of the U.S. I usually find the best deals for U.S. shipping on AbeBooks.)
You could download a PDF on your computer if you can’t find a hard-copy or in addition to a hard-copy. I didn’t have a chance to find a link to share, but that’s something you could do if you choose.
Once you get a copy, have it blessed by a priest then keep it in a safe and accessible place.
You’ll be glad you have it — trust me.
I hope this information is helpful. Please comment with any questions or tips!